Mandatory and recommended references:
- Bowling, A. (2005), Research Methods in Health: Investigating Health and Health Services, (Open University Press: Buckingham).
- Brighton, D. (2005), Royal Marsden Hospital Handbook of Cancer Chemotherapy, (Elsevier).
- Jarvis, C. (2004), Physical Assessment and Health Assessment (fourth edition), (Saunders: St Lous).
- Kearney, N. and Richardson, A. (eds.), (2006), Nursing Patients with Cancer: Principles and Practice, (Elsevier Churchill Livingstone: Edinburgh).
- Cancer Nursing
- Oncology Nursing Forum
- European Journal of Oncology Nursing
- Semin Oncol Nurs
- Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing
- British Journal of Cancer
- European Journal of Cancer
- Cancer Journal
- Support Cancer Care
THE CONTEXT OF CANCER NURSING:
- Adam, J., White, M. and Foreman, D. (2004), 'Are there Socioeconomic Gradients in Stage and Gradeof Breast Cancer at Diagnosis? Cross Sectional Analysis of UK Cancer Registry Data', British Medical Journal, 329: 142.
- Creagan, E. T. (2004), 'Burnout and Balance: How to go the Distance in the 21st Century', Cancer Control, 11 (4): 266–8.
- Lowrey, K. M. (2004), ‘Legal and Ethical Issues in Cancer Genetics Nursing (Review), Semin Oncol Nurs, 20 (3): 203–8.
SCIENTIFIC BASIS AND CANCER TREATMENT:
- Cervantes, A. and Chirivella, I. (2004), 'Oncological Emergencies' (review), Ann Oncol, 15 (4): 299–306.
- Gafter-Givili, A., Fraser, A., Paul, M., tal. (2005), 'Meta-Analysis Antibiotic Prophylaxis Reduces Mortality in Neutropenic Patients', Annals of Internal Medicine, 142: 979–95.
- Green, J. M. and Hacker, E. D. (2004), 'Chemotherapy in the Geriatric Population (Review), Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 8 (6): 591–7.
- Jones, L. and Coe, P. (2004), 'Extravasation', European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 8 (4): 355–8.
NURSING SKILLS IN ASSESSING CANCER PATIENTS:
- Bickley, L. (2004), Bates' Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking (eighth edition), (LWW: Philadelphia).
- Bourbonnais, F. F., Perreault, A. and Bouvette, M. (2004), 'Introduction of a Pain and Symptom Assessment Tool in the Clinical Setting: Lessons Learned', Journal of Nursing Management, 12 (3): 194–200.
- Chernecky, C., Saran, L., Waller, J. and Brecht, M. L. (2004), 'Assessing Cough and Wheezing in Lung Cancer: A Pilot Study', Oncology Nursing Forum, 31 (6): 1095–101.
- Costelloe, M. and Nelson, L. (2004), 'The Needs of Recently Diagnosed Cancer Patients’, Nurs Stand, 19 (13): 42–4.
- Davies, E., Male, M., Reimer, V., Turner, M. and Wylie, K. (2004), 'Pain Assessment and Cognitive Impairment: Part 1', Nursing Standard, 19 (12): 39–42.
- Harris, D. J. and Knobf, M. T. (2004), 'Assessing and Managing Chemotherapy Induced Mucositis Pain', Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing , 8 (6): 622–8.
- Jefford, M., Mileshkin, L., Richards, K., Thomson, J., Mathews, J. P., Zalcberg, J., tal. (2004), 'Rapid Screening for Depression: Validation of the Brief Case Find for Depression (BCD)', in 'Medical
- Oncology and Palliative Care Patients', British Journal of Cancer, 91 (5): 900–6.
- Mullen, K. H., Berry, D. and Zierler, B. (2004), 'Computerized Symptom and Quality of Life Assessment for Patients with Cancer Part II: Acceptability and Usability', Oncology Nursing Forum, 31 (5): 84–9.
- Paul, S. M., Zelman, D. C., Smith, M. and Miaskowski, C. (2005), ‘Categorizing the Severity of Cancer Pain: Further Exploration of the Establishment of Cut points', Pain, 113 (1–2): 37–44.
DECISION MAKING AND COMMUNICATION:
- Bar-Tal, Y., Barnoy, S., Zisser, B. (2005), ‘Whose Informational Needs are Considered? A Comparison Between Cancer Patients and their Spouses’ Perceptions of their Own and their Partners’ Knowledge and Informational Needs’, Soc Sci Med, 60 (7): 1459–65.
- Balmer, C. (2005), ‘The information requirements of people with cancer: where to go after the “patient information leaflet?’, Cancer Nursing, 28 (1): 36–44.
- Capirici, C., Feldman-Stewart, D. Mandoliti, G., Brundage, M., Belluco, G. and Manani, K. (2005), ‘Information Priorities of Italian Early Stage Prostate Cancer Patients and of their Health Care Professionals’, Patient Educ Couns, 56 (2): 174–81.
- Chouliara, Z., Miller, M., Stott, D., Molassiotis, A., Twelves, C. and Kearney, N. (2004), ‘Older People with Cancer: Perceptions and Feelings about Information, Decision-Making and Treatment: A Pilot Study’, European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 8 (3): 257–35.
- Link, L. B., Robbins, L., Mancuso, C. A. and Charlso, M. E. (2004), ‘How Do Cancer Patients Who Try to Take Control of their Disease Differ from those Who Do Not?’, Eur J Cancer Care (Engl), 13 (3): 219–26.
- Maly, R. C., Umezawa, Y., Leake, B., Silliman, R. A. (2004), ‘Determinants of Participation in Treatment Decision-Making by Older Breast Cancer Patients’, Breast Cancer Res Treat, 85 (3): 201–9.
- Murray, M. A., Miller, T., Fiset, V., O’Connor, A. and Jacobsen, M. J. (2004), Decision Support: Helping Patients and Families Find a Balance at the End of Life’, International Journal of Palliative Nursing, 10 (6): 270–7.
NURSING INTERVENTIONS IN THE MANAGEMENT OF CANCER:
- Bokemeyer, C., Aapro, M. S., Courdi, A., Foubert, J., Link, H., Osterborg, A., tal. (2004), ‘EORTC Guidelines for the Use of Erythropoietic Proteins in Anaemic Patients with Cancer’, European Journal of Cancer, 40 (15): 2293–306.
- Fleishman, S. (2004), ‘Treatment of Symptom Clusters: Pain Depression and Fatigue’, Journal of National Cancer Institute Monographs, (32): 119–23.
- Johnson, D. C., Kassner, C. T., Houser, J. and Kutner, J. S. (2005), ‘Barriers to Effective Symptom Management in Hospice, Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, 29 (1): 69–79.
- Kuhn, K. G., Boesen, E., Ross, L. and Johansen, C. (2005), ‘Evaluation and Outcome of Behavioural Changes in the Rehabilitation of Cancer Patients: A Review’, European Journal of Cancer, 41 (2): 216–24.
- MASCC (2005), ‘Mucositis: Perspectives and Clinical Practice Guidelines’, Cancer Journal, 100 (S9): 1995–2046. Also available at http://www.mascc.org/index.php?load=pro_study_groups&page_id=73 (1 May 2004).
- Miaskowski, C., Dodd, M. and Lee, K. (2004), ‘Symptom Clusters: The New Frontier in Symptom Management Research’, Journal of National Cancer Institute Monographs, (32): 17–21.
- Perdue, C. (2005), ‘Understanding Nausea and Vomiting in Advanced Cancer’, Nursing Times, 101(4): 32–5.
- Stevenson, J., Abernethy, A. P., Miller, C. and Currow, D. C. (2004), ‘Managing Co-morbidities in Patients at the End of Life (Review)’, British Medical Journal, 329 (7471): 909–12.
- Wagner, L. I. and Cella, D. (2004), ‘Fatigue and Cancer: Causes, Prevalence and Treatment Approaches, Br J Cancer, 91 (5): 822–8.
IMPACT OF CANCER ON PATIENTS AND THEIR CARERS:
- Anderson, K., Mendoza, T., Valero, V., Richman, S., Russell, C., Hurley, J., Deleon, C., Washington, P., Palos, G., Payne, R. and Cleeland, C. (2000), ‘Minority Cancer Patients and their Providers – Pain Management Attitudes and Practice, Cancer, 88 (8): 1929 38.
- DIPEx, Offers a wide variety of personal experiences of cancer illness and survival, <http://www.dipex.org>.
- Farrell, C., Heaven, C., Beaver, K. and Maguire, P. (2005), ‘Identifying the Concerns of Women Undergoing Chemotherapy’, Patient Educ Couns, 56 (1): 72–7.
- Little, M. and Sayers, E. (2004), ‘While There’s Life… Hope and the Experience of cancer’, Soc SciMed, 59 (6): 1329–37.
- McGrath, P. (2004), ‘Reflections on Serious Illness as Spiritual Journey by Survivors of Haematological Malignancies’, European Journal of Cancer Care (Engl), 13 (3): 227–37.
- Ryan, H., Schofield, P., Cockburn, J., Butow, P., Tattersall, M., Turner, J. et al. (2005), ‘How to Recognise and Manage Psychological Distress in Cancer Patients’, European Journal of Cancer Care (Engl), 14 (1): 7–15.
CLINICAL LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF NURSING RESOURCES:
- European Leadership Foundation. Provides access to reviews of leadership literature and resources, <http://www.nursingleadership.org.uk/home.htm> (accessed on 26 October 2005).
- Grunfield, E., Zitzelsberger, L., Coristone, M., Whelan, T. J., Aspelund, F. and Evans, W. K. (2005), ‘Job Stress and Job Satisfaction of Cancer Workers’, Pyschooncology, 14 (1): 61–9.
- Gysels, M., Richardson, A. and Higginson, I. J. (2004), ‘Communication Training for Health Care Professionals Who Care for Patients with Cancer: A Systematic Review of Effectiveness’, Support Cancer Care, 12 (10): 692–700.
- Myers, J. S. (2004), ‘Tools for the Advancement of Quality Care’, Semin Oncol Nurs 20 (2): 89–100.
- NHS Modernisation agency improvement leaders guides, general improvement skills, process and systems thinking, personal and organisational development <http://www.wise.nhs.uk/cmsWISE/ Tools+and+Techniques/ILG/ILG.htm> (accessed 26 October 2005).
- Needham, P. R. and Newbury, J. (2004), ‘Goal Setting as a Measure of Outcome in Palliative Care’, Journal of Palliative Medicine, 18 (5): 444–51.
- Ropka, M. E, Padilla, G. and Gillespie, T. (2005), ‘Risk Modelling: Applying Evidence-based Risk Assessment in Oncology Nursing Practice’, Oncology Nursing Forum, 32 (1): 49–56.
- Rosser, M., Rice, A. M., Campbell, H. and Jack, C. (2004), Evaluation of a Mentorship Programme for Specialist Practitioners’, Nursing Education Today, 24 (8): 596–604.
- Sloan, J. A., Scott-Findlay, S., Nemecek, A., Bllod, P., Trylinski, C., Whittaker, H., tal. (2004), ‘Mapping the Journey of Cancer Patients through the Health Care System: Part 2 Methodological Approaches and Basic Findings, Can Oncol Nurs, 14 (4): 224–32.
- Thomas, R. and Richardson, A. (2004), ‘The NICE Guidance on Supportive and Palliative Care: Implications for Oncology Teams’, Clinical Oncology (R Coll Radiol), 16 (6): 420–4.
INFORMATICS AND APPLIED RESEARCH IN CANCER NURSING:
- Berger, A., Berry, D., Kimberly, C., Greene, A., Maliski, S., Swenson, K., Mallory, G., and Hoyt, D. (2005), ‘Oncology Nursing Society Year 2004 Research Priorities Survey’, Oncology Nursing Forum, 32 (2): 281–90.
- Burns, N. and Groves, S. (2004), The Practice of Nursing Research: Conduct, Critique, and Utilization, (fourth edition), (WB Saunders and Company: Philadelphia).
- Hunt, E., Breckenridge, Sproat, S. and Kitzmiller, R. (2004), The Nursing Informatics Implementation Guide, (Springer Publications).
- Cooke, L., Smith-Idell, C., Dean, G., Gemmill, R., Steingass, S., Sun, V., et al. ‘Research to Practice: A Practical Program to Enhance the Use of Evidence-based Practice at the Unit Level’, Oncology Nursing Forum, 31 (4): 825–32.
- Friese, C. R. and Beck, S. L. (2004), ‘From Research to Clinical Practice. Advancing Practice and Research: Creating Evidence-based Summaries on Measuring Nursing-sensitive Patient Outcomes,’ Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, 8 (6): 675–7.
- Larson, E. and Nirenberg, A. (2004), ‘Evidence-based Nursing Practice to Prevent Infection in Hospitalised Neutropenic patients with Cancer’, Oncology Nursing Forum, 31 (4): 717–25.
- Patiraki, E., Karlou, C., Papadopoulou, D., Spyridou, A., Kouloukoura, C. and Bare, E. (2004), Barriers in implementing research findings in cancer care: the Greek registered nurses perceptions European Journal of Oncology Nursing, 8 (3): 245–56.
- Schofield, P. E. and Butow, P. N. (2004), ‘Towards Better Communication in Cancer Care: A Framework for Developing Evidence Based Interventions’, Patient Educ Couns, 55 (1): 32–9.
- Scott, I. and Mazhindu, D. (2005), Statistics for Health Care Professionals: An Introduction, (Sage publications: London).
- Weingarten, M., Paul, M. and Leibovici, M. (2004), ‘Assessing Ethics of Trials in Systematic Reviews’, British Medical Journal, 328: 1013–4.